GET Mobile Identity
GET Group NA’s mobile identity solution provides a high-assurance ID on a user’s mobile device, helping combat identity fraud with a more convenient, secure and instant alternative to traditional physical ID documents. GET Mobile ID utilizes formidable data encryption algorithms and communication security measures to reduce identity theft and the consequences thereof.
The International Organization of Standardization (ISO) 18013-5 will specify the technical and interoperability requirements for Mobile Drivers Licenses (mDL). ISO 18013–5 standard is a Draft International Standard expected to be published next year in 2021. The complete document is available here. The current standard supports data exchange for attended online and offline transmission. All are encouraged to implement, and you may inquire about GET Mobile Verify and our Verify Engine/SDK.
To subscribe to the standard as it changes: https://www.iso.org/standard/69084.html
American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA)
AAMVA Mobile Driver's License (mDL) Site
- AAMVA Mobile Driver's License (mDL) Resources and Documentation
A collection of news and resources released to Issuing Authorities as guidance for permitting mobile driver's license (mDL) for your citizens or implementing an mobile driver's license (mDL) program
- Mobile Driver License (mDL) Implementation Guidelines (April 2019), Starting with ISO/IEC 18013-5 CD2 as a basis, the Mobile Driver License (mDL) Implementation Guidelines document provides guidance on pursuing a mobile driver’s license (mDL) solution
- Mobile Driver's License Functional Needs Whitepaper
The "Mobile Driver's License Functional Needs Whitepaper" presents the current understanding of the Card Design Standards Committee and the eID Working Group, of the conceptual framework and functional requirements associated with a “driver license on a cellphone”, or mobile driver license (mDL). It also explores ancillary topics stakeholders may want to consider in connection with mobile driver's license (mDL)
AAMVA Mobile Driver's License (mDL) videos
Secure Technology Alliance - mDL Connection
STA Mobile Driver's License (mDL) Resource Site
- mDL Connection is a resource from the Secure Technology Alliance, the digital security industry’s premier association. This website supplements the Alliance’s mission to educate the U.S. market and accelerate adoption and use of state-issued mobile driver’s licenses (mDLs).
- Mobile Driver License (mDL) Initiative - To drive adoption of mDLs, businesses and services providers who rely on customers having trusted forms of identification – from retailers and financial institutions to healthcare providers and other organizations – need to become educated on mDLs and evaluate how they could benefit from a strongly vetted, standards-based mobile ID.
- SECURE TECHNOLOGY ALLIANCE WHITE PAPER
The mobile driver’s license (mDL) market is developing rapidly in the U.S., with states in varying stages of implementation. The Secure Technology Alliance white paper, The Mobile Driver’s License (mDL) and Ecosystem, was developed to help stakeholders understand how mDLs will change the way identification is managed. It answers essential questions around the standards, features and uses of an mDL; why someone should use or accept an mDL; and how the mDL will meet expectations of trustworthiness.
- The Mobile Driver’s License and Ecosystem Webinar Series - The Secure Technology Alliance Identity Council hosted a four-part webinar series to discuss mobile driver’s licenses (mDLs) and the impact they will have on identity verification as more states adopt the technology. Recordings of all four webinars are available here.
Industry Articles and Papers
Going Mobile with Contactless ID for the Post-COVID Restaurant Experience, Modern Restaurant Management
- Florida to offer mobile driver's licenses on smartphones starting in 2021, Fox News
- FATF promotes digital ID during Covid-19, Finextra
- 'Don’t waste a good crisis': Experts push governments to create digital ID programs in wake of COVID-19, by Christopher Nardi National Post
- NSW moves for COVID-safe ID, by Pharmacy Daily
- The Mobile Driver’s License (mDL) and Ecosystem, Secure Technology Alliance
- Redefining trusted ID with mDL, Keesing Journal of Documents and Identity
Android 11 to add support for mobile driving licences, by Mike Clark, NFCW.com
- The New Mobile Driver Licenses — How to Use ISO 18013–5, by David Kelts, Director of Product Development, Mobile Identity, GET Group North America
- “Mobile ID for All: Interoperability and Privacy Preservation as Key Success Factors,” by Dr. Evangelos Sakkopoulos and Konstantin Papaxanthis
- ID document stakeholders call for digital identity standards as Mastercard and Samsung team up, Biometrics Update
- Upgrading your wallet: How soon can I get a digital driver's license?, USA Today
- The Public Safety Benefits of mDLs, efficientGov
- Maximizing security and compliance in the shift towards mobile ID, by Gerald Hubbard, Director of Business Development, GET Group North America, Security Document World
- UL Identity Management: Are you Ready to Issue? and mDL Interoperability.
- Roger Clarke’s Identity Terminology Page, an older but accurate draft of terminology used in the online identity space.
- The Seven Foundational Principles of Privacy By Design, by Dr. Ann Cavoukian, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada
- Spotlight on GET Group NA by DIACC
- GET Mobile Driver’s License goes beyond the screen, by Secure ID News
- DIACC Industry Insights: Digital ID in Commerce in DIACC Industry Insights / Slider
- Secure Technology Alliance Announces New Initiative to Advance Adoption of Mobile Driver’s Licenses
- ID Transactions as we “Open Up” Post Covid-19 by David Kelts, Director of Product Development, Mobile Identity, GET Group North America
- Harmons to Accept Mobile Driver’s Licenses as Part of Utah Pilot Program, July 27, 2021
- Utah Community Credit Union Signs on to Participate in Mobile Driver’s License Pilot, June 22, 2021
Utah Launches Pioneering Pilot on Mobile Driver’s License, March 30, 2021
GET Mobile ID Solution Passes UL Conformity Assessment , December 7, 2020
- GET Group North America Announces Beta Program to Enable Retailers to Accept New Mobile IDs for Faster and More Secure Transactions, January 13, 2020
- GET Group North America Announces GET Mobile Administrator for Issuance of 18013-5- Compliant Mobile Driver’s Licenses and ID Cards, August 15, 2019
- GET Group North America Announces Near-field Communication (NFC) Support on iOS for mDL and Mobile ID Transactions at Point of Sale, July 15, 2019
- Mobile Identity Industry Veteran Joins GET Group North America to Advance Development of ISO 18013-5-compliant Mobile Driver's License Technology, June 4, 2019
- GET Group North America Announces Support for International Draft Standard for Mobile Driver’s License (mDL), April 25, 2019
- Former Delaware DMV Director joins GET Group North America, August 15, 2018
- GET Group North America Launches Digital Identity Solution, October 10, 2017
Global Identity Interoperability Initiatives
Mobile Identities will need to have the legal and policy backing of government and law in order to be effectively used wherever regulation exists – for example, age-based purchases. In each continent around the globe, governments or public-private partnerships are forging the rules of identity and the operating environment in which all parties can trust transactions.
- Digital Identity and Authentication Council of Canada: http://diacc.ca/
- Digital Transformation Agency of Australia is publishing a Trusted Digital Identity Framework and a Digital Transformation Strategy
- eIDAS is Europe’s framework for interoperability of identity online and in-person
- Kantara Initiative’s Identity Assurance Framework for US and Federal certification of ID
- The US Identity Ecosystem Steering Group that is now part of Kantara