Mobile ID resources
We have plenty of resources to provide additional information. Still have questions, or looking for more information, please reach out to our team and we will be happy to assist.
The International Organization of Standardization (ISO) 18013-5 will specify the technical and interoperability requirements for Mobile Drivers Licenses (mDL). ISO 18013–5 standard is a Draft International Standard expected to be published next year in 2021. The complete document is available here. The current standard supports data exchange for attended online and offline transmission. All are encouraged to implement, and you may inquire about GET Mobile Verify and our Verify Engine/SDK.
To subscribe to the standard as it changes: https://www.iso.org/standard/69084.html
American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA)
- Mobile Driver License (mDL) Model Legislation – The model legislation is meant to demonstrate how the requirements in the ISO standards and AAMVA Mobile Driver’s License Implementation Guidelines could be represented in jurisdiction-specific legislation.
- Mobile Driver’s License (mDL) Implementation Guidelines (January 2023) – As the mDL evolves, the mDL WG continues to identify and address topics on which guidance to Issuing Authorities can be helpful.
- AAMVA Mobile Driver’s License (mDL) Resources and Documentation – A collection of news and resources released to Issuing Authorities as guidance for permitting mobile driver’s license (mDL) for your citizens or implementing an mobile driver’s license (mDL) program
- Mobile Driver License (mDL) Implementation Guidelines (April 2019), Starting with ISO/IEC 18013-5 CD2 as a basis, the Mobile Driver License (mDL) Implementation Guidelines document provides guidance on pursuing a mobile driver’s license (mDL) solution
- Mobile Driver’s License Functional Needs Whitepaper – presents the current understanding of the Card Design Standards Committee and the eID Working Group, of the conceptual framework and functional requirements associated with a “driver license on a cellphone”, or mobile driver license (mDL). It also explores ancillary topics stakeholders may want to consider in connection with mDLs.
- mDL Connection is a resource from the Secure Technology Alliance, the digital security industry’s premier association. This website supplements the Alliance’s mission to educate the U.S. market and accelerate adoption and use of state-issued mobile driver’s licenses (mDLs).
- Mobile Driver License (mDL) Initiative – To drive adoption of mDLs, businesses and services providers who rely on customers having trusted forms of identification – from retailers and financial institutions to healthcare providers and other organizations – need to become educated on mDLs and evaluate how they could benefit from a strongly vetted, standards-based mobile ID.
- SECURE TECHNOLOGY ALLIANCE WHITE PAPER
The mobile driver’s license (mDL) market is developing rapidly in the U.S., with states in varying stages of implementation. The Secure Technology Alliance white paper, The Mobile Driver’s License (mDL) and Ecosystem, was developed to help stakeholders understand how mDLs will change the way identification is managed. It answers essential questions around the standards, features and uses of an mDL; why someone should use or accept an mDL; and how the mDL will meet expectations of trustworthiness.
- The Mobile Driver’s License and Ecosystem Webinar Series – The Secure Technology Alliance Identity Council hosted a four-part webinar series to discuss mobile driver’s licenses (mDLs) and the impact they will have on identity verification as more states adopt the technology. Recordings of all four webinars are available here.
Industry Articles and Papers
- Salt Lake City International Airport Using New Credential Authentication Technology, Accepting Mobile Driver Licenses Homeland Security Today
- Can Utah’s digital driver’s license be a viable form of customer ID? American Banker
- Mobile ID can bring both convenience and citizen privacy Biometric Update
- Digital ID insiders want to know: When will Congress do its job? Biometric Update
- Mobile driver’s licenses and health IDs merging as part of a new digital wallet Biometric Update
- Utah Community CU to Test Mobile Driver’s Licenses Credit Union Times
- Utah’s New Mobile ID Pilot Might Be the Future of Digital ID Government Technology
- Going Mobile with Contactless ID for the Post-COVID Restaurant Experience, Modern Restaurant Management
- Secure Technology Alliance Reports Momentum in Mobile Driver’s License Initiative with Strong Participation in Four-part Webinar Series, Global Newswire
- Florida to offer mobile driver’s licenses on smartphones starting in 2021, Fox News
- FATF promotes digital ID during Covid-19, Finextra
- ‘Don’t waste a good crisis’: Experts push governments to create digital ID programs in wake of COVID-19, by Christopher Nardi National Post
- The Mobile Driver’s License (mDL) and Ecosystem, Secure Technology Alliance
- Android 11 to add support for mobile driving licences, by Mike Clark, NFCW.com
- Redefining trusted ID with mDL, Keesing Journal of Documents & Identity
- The New Mobile Driver Licenses — How to Use ISO 18013–5, by David Kelts, Director of Product Development, Mobile Identity, GET Group North America
- ID document stakeholders call for digital identity standards as Mastercard and Samsung team up, Biometrics Update
- Upgrading your wallet: How soon can I get a digital driver’s license?, USA Today
- The Public Safety Benefits of mDLs, efficientGov
- Maximizing security and compliance in the shift towards mobile ID, by Gerald Hubbard, Director of Business Development, GET Group North America, Security Document World
- UL Identity Management: Are you Ready to Issue? and mDL Interoperability.
- Roger Clarke’s Identity Terminology Page, an older but accurate draft of terminology used in the online identity space.
- The Seven Foundational Principles of Privacy By Design, by Dr. Ann Cavoukian, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada
- Spotlight on GET Group NA by DIACC
- GET Mobile Driver’s License goes beyond the screen, by Secure ID News
- DIACC Industry Insights: Digital ID in Commerce in DIACC Industry Insights / Slider
- Secure Technology Alliance Announces New Initiative to Advance Adoption of Mobile Driver’s Licenses
- ID Transactions as we “Open Up” Post Covid-19 by David Kelts, Director of Product Development, Mobile Identity, GET Group North America